10 of Detroit’s best microbreweries.
1. Atwater Brewery: Located in Detroit’s Rivertown district, few breweries offer a drinking experience quite as unique as you’ll find at Atwater. In the corner of the brewing warehouse is a small bar and selection of taps, including their famous Dirty Blonde, among others — great for a full immersion in Michigan brewing culture.
2. Motor City Brewing Works: If the name Ghettoblaster doesn’t ring a bell, it should. Stop by this Midtown hotspot for a pint and for one of their famous brick oven pizzas. The hard ciders are also top-notch, as well as the top-level outdoor porch seating.
3. Rochester Mills Beer Co.: Clean beer varieties such as the Lazy Daze Lager and Pleszures Pale Ale, as well as their menu of American-style food, have earned this brewery a reputation as another one of Detroit’s great neighborhood bars.
4. Dragonmead: Widely regarded as one of Michigan’s best microbreweries, Dragonmead’s unassuming exterior in Warren holds the mystery of medieval- and fantasy-inspired beer recipes, including a Dragonslayer Altbier, Lancelot’s Cream Ale and the Final Absolution Belgian Style Trippel.
5. Woodward Ave. Brewers: Or the WAB as it’s called by Ferndale locals, sits just north of 8 Mile, and serves beers ranging from a (new) Detroit Maiden IPA to the Hefty-Weizen to a Vanilla Porter, plus seasonal brews. Voted “Best Microbrewery” by HOUR Detroit in 2008, 2009 and 2010.
6. B. Nektar Meadery: OK, so mead isn’t beer, but it’s in the ballpark. This Ferndale institution is a must-see for any beer connoisseur, with mead recipes that will amaze and delight. The tasting room has limited weekend hours, but bottles are sold widely through the region.
7. Royal Oak Brewery: Located in the heart of downtown Royal Oak, Royal Oak Brewery is known as much for their beer as they are for their food and the atmosphere. Order a Pappy’s Porch Sippin’ Porter to go along with an order of Brewer’s Bread, and take an outdoor seat on the back deck.
8. Bastone Brewery: Award-winning beers made with Belgian-style yeast strains go perfect with the Belgian-influenced menu that includes recommended beer pairings. For your money, you can’t go wrong with Belgian Style Steak Tips, Pomme Frites with brewmaster mustard, with a pint of the Witface.
9. Liberty Street Brewing Company: Arguably the best come-as-you-are neighborhood brewery in metro Detroit, Liberty Street Brewing specializes in small-batch beers, and keeps hard ciders on the menu as well. Liberty Street has a limited food menu, but allows patrons to order in from restaurants around Plymouth. Where everybody knows your name…
10. The Detroit Beer Co.: For those of you who enjoy microbrews and baseball, the Detroit Beer Co. is located within easy walking distance to Comerica Park, so you can try some of Michigan’s finest before heading into the ballgame, including the People Mover Porter and the Detroit Dwarf.